Friday 27 July 2018

Day 9 Triacestela to Sarria

Triacastela to Sarria - Tuesday 5 June - 20km

"If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain" Dolly Parton

My wish that the rain would have stopped this morning wasn't granted.
So I turned my thinking around and convinced myself that rain is what is expected in this part of the country, and just enjoy it! I had been going to bin my broken umbrella last evening, but there wasn't anywhere in Triacastela to buy a replacement, so decided that five eights of an umbrella was better than none at all. Had on the good poncho as well. It was light rain with swirling mists.
Paddocks bordered by dense bush
Pretty stream running through woodland area

Today was a lesson that what we really need will be granted to us - as Stephen reminded me, the Lord will provide!  About 2 Kms in to today's walk, I was aware of a stone in my boot, but it wasn't bothering me, and there was no way I was going to try standing one legged in a wet lane taking the boot off and removing the culprit. A short distance later not only did I come across a dry alcove under a house, which had a soft drinks vending machine in it , but there was a seat as well. Glory be to God. Stone removed and I was on my way again, up a good incline this time. Was cooked by the time I reached the top, and decided to take the poncho off, before I melted and became yet another puddle on the Camino! Once again, didn't want to put my pack down on the wet track. Lo and behold, around the next corner was a very old, but dry, seat under a dense tree. So removed poncho and carried on my way feeling much more comfortable.
Huge cup of yummy hot chocolate

12 Kms in to the walk at about 11am stopped off at a little cafe right on top of the hill. Unfortunately the rain blocked out the view, but I had a divine hot chocolate made with hot milk- with a hint of toffee flavour as well. How good was that.
Expansive view from Furela








Walked out to find that the rain had stopped and there was an expansive view. Had to take care navigating the muddy downhill slopes.

Old trees border the track
Hiking boots take on a new life as flower pot!


Muddy section of track


Met Pierre(mid 30s) from England today. He is one of a group of family and friends who are supporting a man in a wheelchair doing the whole 800Km Camino. They take turns pushing him, and one drives a campervan equipped with shower etc, which he and his wife stay in each night. I have seen the whole group a couple of times in hotel dining rooms or restaurants. Quite a logistical exercise as most are still working, so do a couple of weeks, then a replacement arrives and takes over. When the roads are really muddy or slippery they need to revert to taking the man and his wheelchair on the roads.

Walked in to the Sarria Hotel at 1.30pm before my bag had been delivered, so went for a look around. Quite a big town with a lovely historical precinct. 
This afternoon, at the 5th shop I have tried over the past week or so, finally found someone who knew what he was doing, and got the Spanish SIM card which he put in my phone, to work. Took him about 20 mins for the grand sum of €5. 
Also bought a new brolly. Had a delectable chicken doner kebab in a restaurant by the river for dinner. Then put the brolly to work going back to the hotel as it was raining again afterwards.
Shall enjoy exploring Sarria tomorrow, whatever the weather.
To bed now, and a sleep in tomorrow. Yay.

Today's Gratitude Item:
All my family and friends who have given me good wishes and prayers as I embarked on this pilgrimage. Even though I am far away from home, they feel close to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment